Thursday, July 26, 2012

Uber-Mom

I am still amazed at the audacity....

There was a break in the Hades-like heat wave so I decided to take my kids to the playground to get the "running around" exercise they need.  We are somewhat heat-reluctant, so temps in the mid-80's were a welcomed relief.

I was surprised there were only two other people enjoying the nice weather.  One was  a very nice little girl of about six.  The other was her spandex bedecked Under Armor mother, who seemed to have just finished a triathlon.  She also appeared to be running her daughter through some sort of boot camp.  Up the slide, down the slide...MOVE IT, MOVE IT, SWARM SWARM SWARM!  Just for giggles I named her Uber-Mom.  In my head of course.

My kids were thirsty, so I dragged out our little home-built snack pack and started passing out the drinks.  This got Uber-Mom's attention and apparently riled her up.  She came over so I started to offer up our splendid fare when Uber-Mom interrupted, haughty beyond belief.

"Don't you know that countless studies show that letting your children drink Capri-Suns is endangering their health?"


Without missing a beat, I responded thusly.

 "And don't you know that plain-old common sense says that giving unsolicited parenting advice to a stranger who outweighs you by a couple-a-hundred pounds is endangering yours?"

Thus endeth the conversation.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. On so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glen,
    Awesome come-back. How I wish I could come up with the perfect response at the exact time needed. Kudos to you. Too bad you didn't offer her advice to let her daughter just enjoy the park instead of training for first grade Olympics.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete